Complications in stroke often occur and cause clinical symptoms of a stroke, become increasingly worse. Signs of complications should be identified early so that it can be prevented from getting worse and to determine appropriate therapy. Complications in stroke are:
A. Early complications (0-48 hours first):
1. Cerebral Edema: A common complication, can lead to more severe neurological deficits, increased intracranial pressure, herniation, and ultimately cause death.
2. Abnormalities of the heart: heart abnormalities may be the cause, or arise as a result of stroke, is the leading cause of sudden death in stroke early. Third of half stage to half of stroke patients suffering from heart rhythm disorders.
3. Seizures: seizures in the early phase occurs more often in hemorrhagic stroke and generally will aggravate neurologic deficit.
5. Impaired swallowing function and aspiration
B. Short-term complications (first 1-14 days):
1. Pneumonia: Caused by immobilizing a long time, is one of the respiratory complications of a stroke at the most common, occurring in approximately 5% of patients and mostly occurs in patients who use nasogastric tube.
2. Pulmonary embolism: Tends to occur 7-14 days after stroke, often when the patient began to mobilize.
3. Gastrointestinal Bleeding: Typically occurs in 3% of cases of stroke. Can be a complication of corticosteroids in patients with stroke. It is advisable to give H2 antagonists in patients with stroke.
4. recurrent stroke
5. cardiac abnormalities
Stroke can cause some cardiac abnormalities such as:
- Neurogenic pulmonary edema
- Decreased cardiac output
- Arrhythmias and repolarization disturbances
6. Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
7. Urinary tract infections and urinary incontinence
C. Long-term complications
1. recurrent stroke
2. cardiac abnormalities
3. Metabolic and Nutritional Disorders
5. Other vascular disorders: peripheral vascular disease
• Post-Acute Phase Therapy of Stroke
MEDICAl BOOKS ABOUT STROKE
1. Picture: http://www.regionalmedicalsanjoseblog.com/473434/2012/06/15/common-effects-of-stroke.html